Monday 9 November 2009

Reading and Reading and Reading

I have bought (yet more!!!!!!) books. This time from Amazon. They're on their way now.

Generation Me
-yes it's American. But i have found that that's what I'm so very interested. And here in the UK, don't we have the same sort of issues but to less extremes? Kind of watered down America. But I always think of the US as an 'anything goes' kinda place and I don't think the same about the UK. Maybe these presumptions come from not knowing a lot about either.
ANYWAY this follows the generation that comes after Generation X - ie. the one I'm part of. And i would like to see what has supposedly contributed to the attitudes of people today.

The Bohemian Manifesto
I have posted about this earlier. It looks fascinating. I wanted to do some reading up on a 'counterculture' even though i suppose it's not so much a concentrated thing anymore. It's almost merely a personality component.

And

No One Belongs Here More Than You

Which is a book of short stories by Miranda July, the director of Me And You And Everyone We Know. which is a film I really love. I read the small extract available from amazon's 'look inside!' and it seemed as mesmerizing as the film did.
so i bought the book for a penny. (plus P&P)


The other day i spent an hour in the second hand book shop in Winton and purchased:

Tropic of Cancer - Henry Miller ...looked fascinating. I'm really into reading the books that were banned back in the day and seeing them in the light of the present. See Also: Valley of the Dolls - Jaqueline Susann

A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess ....yes an obvious one but i have yet to read it.

The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald ....ditto. read an extract in school and it's been on the list since then

Metamorphosis and other stories - Kafka ...and again.But apparently i should really give this a go said a variety of people

and The World According to Garp by John Irving -- for my friend Joe. Must Post.


all of these for a tenner. buying new things is silly, a tenner would have got me 1 and 1/3 of a new book..!

No comments:

Post a Comment